President Barack Obama told graduates at a historically black university that they had “responsibilities” to help others rise above joblessness, depressed wages and widespread violence in their communities. “If we’re being honest with ourselves, too few of our brothers and sisters have the opportunities you’ve had here,” Obama said a commencement addresses at Morehouse College in Atlanta. “In troubled neighborhoods all across the country – many of them heavily African-American – too few of our citizens have role models to guide them.”
Posts Tagged ‘Conservative News Magazine’
READ MORE at Bloomberg.
It was a rare reflection by Mitt Romney on his life as a young Mormon, offered as proof to struggling Americans that despite being born into privilege and amassing a $250 million fortune, he too had known hard times.A day after being labelled “out of touch” for casually offering a $10,000 bet to a rival candidate, Mr Romney told supporters he had experienced austerity as a missionary in France, using a bucket for a lavatory and a hose for a shower. “You’re not living high on the hog at that kind of level,” he said.But the Republican presidential hopeful spent a significant portion of his 30-month mission in a Paris mansion described by fellow American missionaries to The Daily Telegraph as “palace”.… “It was a house built by and for rich people,” said Richard Anderson, the son of the mission president at the time of Mr Romney’s stay. “I would describe it as a palace”.Tearful as he described the house, Mr Anderson, 70, of Kaysville, Utah, said Romney aides had asked him not to speak publicly about their time together there.Read more at this link.
- Mitt Romney ‘lived in a Mormon palace with chef and houseboy’ during 1960s France mission (dailymail.co.uk)
- Romney’s Life in France: Posh in Paris, Austere Elsewhere (blogs.wsj.com)
- Romney’s ‘Impoverished’ Home In Paris Was Really A Palace (crooksandliars.com)
- Mitt Romney Talks About Being Mormon Missionary And French Toilets (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- How can you help missionaries (wiki.answers.com)
- Romney’s Experience Of Poverty: Living In A Parisian Mansion (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- US Election 2012: Mitt Romney’s life of privilege and success (telegraph.co.uk)
- Romney claimed he lived impoverished existence in France, in fact he lived in a “palace” in Paris (americablog.com)
- Stories about faith and family help Romney open up (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
In an interview yesterday, Newt Gingrich put some reality into the surreal discussion of the Middle East conflict and (as he put it) the delusional nature of the current “peace process.” The Palestinians are indeed an “invented people” — invented by the Nasser dictatorship and KGB by the way — and the Hitlerian lie that Israel occupies one square inch of “Arab” let alone “Palestinian” land needs to be buried for any clarity on what the conflict is about, let alone progress towards peace. Of course there is no peace in the Middle East and can be no peace so long as the Muslim Arabs want to kill the Jews and destroy the Jewish state. That is the explicit goal of the enemies of Israel in the terrorist entities of Gaza and the West Bank, and also of Israel’s principal enemy the Islamic Republic of Iran. Newt Gingrich’s gutsy statements — if will hold to them — could change the nature of the debate not only about how to deal with the Islamic terrorists of the Middle East but with the Islamic jihad itself. For the campaign to destroy Israel is at bottom a campaign to restore the Muslim (not Arab) ummah — as it was under the Turkish empire and the caliphate.Read more at this link.
America, in the view of President Barack Obama, is not a happy place. It is a dark region where people cheat each other; corporations brutalize the public, and opportunity is out of reach.Obama’s relentless reelection focus on America’s demons is a communications error that could haunt his bid for a second term.Americans want to be told the truth. They don’t want their president to pretend that the economy is thriving.But what they probably won’t abide is a message that there is something fundamentally wrong with the nation that Obama, like some prophet preaching through Gomorrah, was sent to fix.The last Democratic president to win reelection, Bill Clinton, mimicked Ronald Reagan’s feel-good “Morning in America” theme to coast to a second term.But Obama is trying out a reelection model that posits a broken country which needs him to “finish the job” he started.America, in Obama’s view, is an unfair place, where “our school system” is working “for just some children;” where immigrants live “in second-class status.”Read more at this link.
- Desperate Obama Campaign Secretly Asking Bill Clinton How To Get Reelected (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- For Obama, A Problem With The Foreboding Four? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Romney: Obama Doesn’t Understand America (thepage.time.com)
- Obama Wrong on ‘Lazy’ America–As Are Class Warfare Conservatives (usnews.com)
- Obama says reelection odds are better now than 2008 (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
The ultimate “Absentee Father-in-Chief.”
The president’s “lazy” comment is one of a series of remarks carrying an undercurrent of disapproval of the country he is so luckless as to govern. A few weeks ago, he observed that Americans had gotten “a little soft and we didn’t have the same competitive edge that we needed over the last couple of decades.” At a San Francisco fundraiser, he lamented that “we have lost our ambition, our imagination, and our willingness to do the things that built the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam.”Obama is prone to the posture of the dispassionate critic, floating above the foibles of America. It never seems to enter his mind that he might have disappointed us, but he certainly seems to think that we have disappointed him. We’ve been lazy and soft in our practices going back decades, hopeless until the advent of one Barack H. Obama, the would-be Redeemer President frustrated by the recalcitrant national material with which he’s forced to work, Michelangelo with a bum piece of marble.Read more at this link.
- Obama Leadership Lesson titled “Americans are soft and lazy” (ricrx.wordpress.com)
- Obama: U.S. ‘Lazy’ With Businesses (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- Obama: Americans Have Been ‘A Little Bit Lazy’ Over The Past Few Decades (businessinsider.com)
- Obamateurism of the Day (hotair.com)
- Barack Obama admits US ‘lazy’ in attracting overseas business (telegraph.co.uk)
- Who’s Lazy Mr. President?! (coffeenchat.wordpress.com)
- Obama: ‘We’ve Been A Little Bit Lazy’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama to CEOs: ‘We’ve Been a Bit Lazy’ (abcnews.go.com)
Unions — particularly public-employee unions — support illegal immigration because it serves their interests to have a permanent class of people who are financially dependent on the government.The sad secret about private-sector unions is that they are dying. There used to be a reason for private-sector unions — like, for instance, protecting people like my dad from inhaling the toxic materials at the munitions plant, which eventually killed him. But in today’s world, such unions have become basically obsolete. All they do now is drive up the cost of doing business, thereby preventing their own members from getting hired. Arizona is what we call a “right to work” state. As mandated by the Arizona Constitution, Arizonans are free to join a union or not — it’s their choice, not some union boss’s command. And interestingly enough, when employees are given the choice of whether or not to join a union, they increasingly say no.Read more at this link.
The fingerprints of the preeminent funder of the activist Left today, George Soros, are all over the anti-American “Occupy Wall Street” movement. The seventh-wealthiest person in America (net worth: $22 billion), Soros has publicly embraced Occupy Wall Street and financially supports a left-wing group that is funneling money to the movement.Read more at this link.
- Soros Army Launches Wall Street Assault (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- #OccupyWallStreet – No, George Soros is not a funder of protests but are they indirectly linked? (nextlevelofnews.com)
- Busted: Soros’ Hands Behind the Occupy America Puppets Exposed (rogueoperator.wordpress.com)
- Occupy Wall Street: Organization and Tactics (constitutionclub.org)
- Occupy Wall Street: Organization and Tactics (rogueoperator.wordpress.com)
- Jon Stewart Scolds the ‘Bad Occupiers’ of Occupy Wall Street [Video] (gawker.com)
John Hawkins @ Townhall sums it up:
Occupy Wall Street is a lot like Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign. It’s so vague that everyone sees what he wants to see in the protests. Some people hate the bailouts, others want free stuff, some are mad about jobs being shipped overseas, others are old hippies hoping for a sixties’ revival and that’s before you even start talking about the Communists, Nazis, anarchists, and wannabe revolutionaries.Even though Occupy Wall Street is sort of a smellier, dirtier, less focused, more violent bizarre-world version of the Tea Party, some of the people attending the protests do mean well — and they do have at least one legitimate grievance. Both parties in power gave the thumbs up to TARP and the bailouts, which were really little more than “heads, we win; tails, the taxpayers lose” crony socialism. Whether it’s banks, big agriculture, solar firms, General Motors, or Chevrolet, big business shouldn’t be given our tax dollars. If they can only make it with an infusion of taxpayer dollars, then it’s better for the country in the long run if they don’t survive.That being said, since Democratic Party is running a 2012 campaign centered around one of the Seven Deadly Sins, envy, they’ve worked hard to create a number of myths that someone needs to address.1) Wall Street created the housing crisis! Most people don’t understand the housing crisis and that’s largely because a lot of people don’t want the public to understand it.There’s a simple reason for that: 90% of the blame lies with government.There’s a bunch more at this link.
- Occupy Wall Street Draws Collective Yawn in Latin America (politics.ie)
- Occupy Wall Street: Bettering or Destroying America? (oneway2day.wordpress.com)
- VIDEO: 5 questions on Occupy Wall Street (cbc.ca)
- Religion Claims Its Place In Occupy Wall Street (timesunion.com)
- Top 5 targets of Occupy Wall Street (csmonitor.com)
Bad omens abound for President Obama in his quest to win reelection in 2012. The President will have an uphill battle in his bid for a second term when faced with these Top 10 Bad Signs.1. Jobless rate: The unemployment rate is stubbornly stuck at around 9%, with no sign of abating. Obama is reduced to running around the country touting his phony jobs bill and blaming others (President Bush, Japanese tsunami, Arab Spring, European debt, Tea Party) for the sad state of affairs.Nine more at this link.
- What goes around comes around, And boy IS IT, You get what you ask for (4mainstreet.wordpress.com)
- Pitting Americans Against One Another Through Politics (theroot.com)
- Whom Do Americans Blame For The Bad Economy? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Best of the Web Today: Ho Hum, a Black Candidate (online.wsj.com)
- Top 10 highlights of Obama’s deficit reduction plan (dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com)
- Pitting Us Against Each Other by Walter E. Williams via Townhall (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
Ed Morrissey @ HotAir.com makes a good point.
The lesson in this story, besides that irony is often delicious? Redistributionism always looks better when you don’t own anything yourself (via JWF):Read more at this link.Occupy Wall Street protesters said yesterday that packs of brazen crooks within their ranks have been robbing their fellow demonstrators blind, making off with pricey cameras, phones and laptops — and even a hefty bundle of donated cash and food.“Stealing is our biggest problem at the moment,” said Nan Terrie, 18, a kitchen and legal-team volunteer from Fort Lauderdale.“I had my Mac stolen — that was like $5,500. Every night, something else is gone. Last night, our entire [kitchen] budget for the day was stolen, so the first thing I had to do was . . . get the message out to our supporters that we needed food!”Crafty cat burglars sneaked into the makeshift kitchen at Zuccotti Park overnight and swiped as much as $2,500 in donated greenbacks from right under the noses of volunteers who’d fallen asleep after a long day whipping up meals for the hundreds of hungry protesters, the volunteers said.Who’d have thought that a crowd of people demanding the seizure of wealth from banks, corporations, and the wealthy might also have a few thieves? I’m shocked, shocked to find theft occurring in a group that has hijacked private property it refuses to leave. I can’t imagine that a crowd that demands free higher education and the forgiveness of tens of thousands in student debt would also think of someone’s Mac or an iPhone as equally as communal as a college education.
- Occupy Wall Street miscreants stunned to find thieves in their midst (crushliberalism.com)
- What A Shock! Far Left #OWS Goons Say Stealing Is Biggest Problem (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- 99% of Americans can afford $5500 Mac computers? 18 year old #Occupy kids can (erickbrockway.com)
- Hilarious: Private-Property-Seizure-Enthusiasts Find Out It Kind of Sucks Having One’s Private Property Seized (minx.cc)
- #OWS Becomes A Den Of Thieves (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- What the War on Inequality Looks Like: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- Bloomberg to Occupy Wall Street protesters: Feel free to stay forever; Update: NYT wants to hear from OWS supporters (hotair.com)
- ‘Occupy’ Protesters and Obama Hit by ‘Redistribution of Wealth’ (sfcmac.wordpress.com)
- Blast From Paul Krugman’s Past: “Social Security Is A Ponzi Scheme And Will Soon Be Over” (zerohedge.com)