In 2008, the following was the general right-wing argument against Obama’s candidacy: a) The self-professed “uniter” Obama had, in truth, little record of uniting disparate groups. From community organizing to politics, his preferred modus operandi was rather to praise moderation, but politick more as a radical, and sometimes go after opponents as unreasonable or illiberal. Thus the most partisan voting senator in the Congress, who talked grandly of “working across the aisle,” also urged supporters to “get in their faces” and “take a gun to a knife fight.” Acorn, Project Vote, and SEIU were not ecumenical organizations. b) Obama knew very little about foreign affairs, or perhaps even raw human nature as it plays out in power politics abroad. At times, he seemed naive about the singular role of the U.S. in the world, especially his sense that problems with Iran, the Middle East, Venezuela, Russia, and others were somehow predicated on American arrogance and unilateralism (and neither predating nor postdating George Bush) — to be remedied by Obama’s post-racial, post-national diplomacy. c) In truth, Obama, for all his rhetorical skills and soft-spoken charisma, had little experience in the private sector outside of politics, academia, foundations, and subsidized organizing. Consequently, he did not seem to understand the nature of profit and loss, payrolls, how businesses worked and planned, or much of anything in the private sector. d) Obama at times seemed to lack common sense, and perhaps even common knowledge. He appeared confused about everything from the number of U.S. states to the idea that air pressure and “tune-ups” might substitute for new oil exploration. He seemed assured when reading a teleprompted script, and yet lost much of his eloquence when it came to repartee and question and answer.Read more at this link.
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: Did 2008 Fears About Obama Come True? Yes, They Did. “The skeptics of 2008 p… (pajamasmedia.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: Obama vs. Obama. “Barack Obama is now at war with Barack Obama. It is not jus… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Victor Davis Hanson: Obama’s Racial Crisis – Our post-racial president has set race relations… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: Atlas Is Sorta Shrugging. Every president lets slip a smear now and then. T… (pajamasmedia.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: “How are we to make sense of flash mobbing, the London rioting, more hatred ex… (pajamasmedia.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: Zero Jobs 101 – the Psychology of Alienating Employers. “Zero jobs last mon… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Shot of Optimism… at a time like this? (bokertov.typepad.com)
Trackback from your site.